Tuesday, April 23, 2013

When I Read This Book Review - Beautiful Creatures

“I said it, just like that. No stupid jokes, no changing the subject. For once, I wasn't embarrassed, because it was the truth. I had fallen. I think I had always been falling. And she might as well know, if she didn't already, because there was no going back now. Not for me.” 
by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Beautiful Creatures is a fantastic read for fans of Twilight, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and other paranormal romance novels.
This book came highly recommended from my cousin who reads everything! We have very similar taste in books so I definitely trust her opinions. The first thing I noticed about Beautiful Creatures was the point of view. Finally, a book with a male narrator. It's fun to read from a teenage girl perspective because I was a teenage girl and can easily relate to those characters, but once in awhile it is a nice change of pace to read from a teenage boy perspective. It is also a new take on paranormal romance because in many books, like Twilight (which I still love, so I don't care what anybody says), the male love interest is the one with the super natural abilities. In Beautiful Creatures, Lena has special abilities and is the character with strength, physically and mentally.

Ethan Wate, the protagonist, lives in the small southern town of Gatlin, South Carolina where nothing ever changes. He's always dreamed of a way out of his boring life until one day Lena Duchannes shows up and nothing is ever the same. Lena is the town shut-in's niece and is labeled a weirdo from the moment she steps into the school. Little do her classmates know, Lena is a Caster with special abilities. Through a series of weird dreams, Ethan feels he already knows Lena in a special way. The two can't stay away from each other and begin to form an unbreakable relationship. The problem is that Lena turns sixteen in just a few short months and that's when she will be chosen for the Dark or the Light. The story follows the trials and tribulations of their relationship and the moment of truth for Lena's fate. 

I loved this book and am eagerly awaiting a trip to the library to pick up the next one.
As always, I'm always looking for book suggestions so if you've read anything life changing recently just let me know!

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...