Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Healthy "Fried" Bananas

I was inspired to use some of my quickly browning bananas today, but wanted something sweet. I adapted an actual fried banana recipe from Pinterest and created this delicious treat! I'm no chef, and I'm sure this has been done in some capacity before, so I'm not saying I'm the first one to ever do this before. Also, none of the measurements are going to be exact. This healthy treat is gluten-free, vegan, paleo, and fully raw. It's nice to know you can create something so scrumptious with so few ingredients! All you need is a banana, honey, water, cinnamon, and almond butter (optional).

All of these ingredients are very healthy and I recently read an article about cinnamon that said even the scent of cinnamon can boost your brain. As a college student preparing for finals, I definitely need the brain boost. Cinnamon also enhances memory and focus so I'll be sprinkling it like a magic potion next week!

I took one banana and cut it into pieces as if I was making a peanut butter and banana sandwich. I wanted the pieces to be small enough to cook quickly and not be a mouthful to eat! I threw the banana slices into a pan on medium heat with some cooking spray so the banana pieces wouldn't stick.

I let them cook for about 45 seconds to a minute before flipping them. Then I took raw honey and tried my best to dissolve it into water so the bananas would be evenly coated in the mixture. I used a heaping spoonful of honey and just enough water to dissolve it. I turned off the heat on the stove, poured the honey mixture in and let it bubble for a second. It gets nice and brown, like caramelized sugar. Then I placed the mixture in a bowl and covered it in cinnamon. It's not photographed, but I also placed a spoonful of almond butter on top because the combination of almond butter and bananas is classic. I know it doesn't look like the most appetizing thing you have ever eaten, but, believe me, it is delicious.

Have you tried any healthy snacks lately? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...